Monday, March 9, 2009

The Truth About Chick Flicks

Okay, I admit it. I love sappy, romantic, feel-good movies. You know this kind as the one and only: chick flick. I do believe that the chick flicks' initial intent is good. Woman meets man, they fall for each other, but oh no! Woman and man must overcome some obstacle such as (another woman/man, family issues, long distance, etc.) If and only if woman and man survive this tragic impediment in their love-fest can they prove to themselves and the rest of the world watching that YAY, there is such a thing as true love. And low and behold, woman and man fight the good fight and get past their differences and live happily ever after.
This all seems well and good, right? WRONG. I recently stumbled upon an article that sums up what chick flicks subtly teach women. And all of these lessons are bad, bad, bad ones.

Why Chick Flicks Hate Women

I read the list of reasons, and thought to myself: In the past, I was guilty of the first four out of seven. Sad but true. Presently, I do still believe in #2: Any problem can be solved by shopping. I can't help it. I am a girl who loves clothes. (Like every other one alive.) This I don't blame on chick flicks. This I blame on genetics and cute outfits in store windows.

The reasons I think chick flicks hate women differ from the reasons listed. I think they give women a false sense of reality. Come on- no man is like Hugh Grant. (Bummer, I know.) I watched chick flicks all my life and fell in love with so many stories. When I was a teenager, I dreamed of the day Richard Gere would arrive in my house hanging out of a limo roof with a dozen roses in his hand. I waited and waited for John Cusack to stand outside my window with a boombox, playing our song for my whole neighborhood to hear. I contemplating writing a bucket list so Shane West would make every single one of them come true.

I, admittedly, was an epic nerd-bag.

I think I am a little more in touch with what love is now that I actually have it. It is nothing like the movies, which is a very good thing because reality>fantasy. What we have is real and isn't scripted, and that is far better than any cupcake-sweet ending to a movie.

Sometimes, though, sometimes...I will watch my favorite movie and slip into what I call The Love Coma, where the simplest of scene will make my heart wrench and make me weep like a 3 year-old who got her toys taken away.

This is my favorite scene from any movie, ever. I'll warn you now- if you are female, you too could be love-coma crazy after watching this. I suggest watching an action movie or reading anything written by Tucker Max to wake you the F up.

No comments:

Post a Comment