Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Love/Hate you.com

I think I needed a little more inspirtation (or perhaps a little more free time at work?) to really get into this love/hate relationship I have with the Internet. I love the Internet for reasons such as getting to blog and therefore distracting myself for a few minutes from boring work. I also love the Internet because it is a simple click to news, finding out what my friends and family are up to via stalktools like Facebook, Twitter, and AIM, and endless information about anything I want. I am guilty of googling anything and everything to get a simple and quick answer to any question I may have. I also get to do fun things like post and edit my own pictures, laugh at funny videos like this, and email my super-cute boyfriend at work. Okay so it sounds like I have more feelings of love than hate, right?

I. hate. the. Internet.

I have learned that although it can be a social tool, it can make some people COMPLETELY anti-social. Call me crazy but I think instead of talking to a complete stranger in a chatroom, discussion board, gaming, or social-networking tool, it is far more important to maintain good relationships with the people you actually know. Spending half a day on Xbox Live or on Facebook isn't helping your social life; it's hurting it. Consuming your time with social-networking may help maintain digital relationships- which are important how? Sure, some tools like Twitter, Blogs, and LinkedIn can be helpful professionally...even so I care more about relationships with friends, family, and loved ones.

Here's a tip: Step away from the computer and go talk to someone who actually cares about you and will be there for you if you ever have a problem. It's far more rewarding than a good ol' LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment