Sunday, April 5, 2009

it's see ya later.

My best friend is moving to North Carolina on May 1, less than a month away, and there is nothing I can do about it. That's the first time I've actually admitted that to myself. I guess people moving away is a part of growing up, and I am truly  struggling with the concept of growing up. Not because I am not mature enough. Not because I can't handle responsibilities that come along with it. It is because once you're an adult, the ride is over. Everyone goes their separate ways, everyone is focused on work and bills and actually making something out of their life rather than just enjoying it. The small things become less significant, and the big things become more serious. There are no more careless summer nights, drinking sangria and playing cards with friends in a backyard gazebo and laughing until your sides hurt. 

And so I know I'm being a baby about it, but I am having a hard time with the fact my friend is moving away and she wont be there for me. She can't stay for me, and she can't stay for her other friends or family that will miss her, and I know that. She's so excited to be doing this for herself and she should be. She has a wonderful guy down there that I know will take care of her. I think, though, that the saying is true- There's no place like home. And while I hope North Carolina is all she wants it to be, I really do hope she moves back here some day. Marisa is like my sister. I think I may put her on a pedestal because she truly is the only person who has never let me down. I went through a lot that she was right next to me for. Happy times. My high school and, especially, college years Heartaches and breaks. The loss of my grandmother. The loss of my first love. She was there for me in ways nobody else could be, and I only hope I am as good of a friend to her as she is to me.

I know, it's not like she's dying, she's just moving away. And she'll be there to talk to and laugh with on the phone and over the computer. But it wont be the same, and I hate change. And that's just something I have to get over. 


No comments:

Post a Comment