Sunday, April 19, 2009

Peter Pan Complex

I find myself having a mild panic attack about the future a good once a week now. This is not good. Yesterday, I was at Kevin's brother's house & everyone was talking about job security and loans and retirement plans so casually, while I was freaking out on the inside. I feel like I am five steps behind everyone else and there are things standing in the way that are preventing me from catching up. I understand the economy is bad, but how much longer do I have to wait before I have some sense of security? That I have some sense of knowing when I will be able to move out of my parents' house, when I will be able to put money down a new car, when I can start making the first steps to being a fully independent adult. 

Of course I am not the only one, and there are plenty others in the same boat I am. But there are also those who are not... which makes me think- where did I go wrong?

I am forever nostalgic over the times where these worries did not exist. I remember when I was so carefree, when I did not worry about things like building equity or taxes and I yearn for those days when I could just sit back, relax, and coast.

That probably doesn't sound very grown-up right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment